There is nothing like feeling beautiful on Portrait Day. Although I have yet to photograph a woman who is nothing but absolutely beautiful, it is sometimes hard for a woman to get her family dressed and ready for portraits, organize clothing, get dad on board, get kids fed, and then get herself prepared in a way that makes her feel as beautiful in her own mind as she truly is. And it's not always feasible for mom to get her hair and make up done by a professional. After all, remember that she is the one getting everyone else ready, too!
So today, I thought I'd bring the professional to you! I reached out to my dear friend and "used to be" partner in crime, Shannon Dimichele, a professional hair and make-up artist, who has been the magic behind many of my photo shoots. Shannon is not only an exceptional artist, but she is also a mom to four little ones, so she understands the wonderful chaos that goes into getting the entire family ready for Portrait Day. With that in mind, Shannon has put together a few simple but fantastic tips for moms everywhere to prepare at home for Portrait Day. When you can't go to the professional, you can now bring the professional to you!
SHANNON'S BEAUTY TIPS
1. Starting with a clean, toned, and moisturized face is ESSENTIAL!
2. When choosing your foundation, be sure it doesn't have SPF, as that will cause flashback on your face during your photo session. (who knew?)
3. Blending is KEY! When blending your foundation, be sure to blend it down your neck and chest, as well as your face and ears. The same holds true for eye shadow. Blend, blend, BLEND! Be sure there are no harsh lines, between the colors of shadow that you choose.
4. Keep it natural. Go for a mid tone brown in your crease for definition. Choose a champagne or vanilla shade for your lid, and don't forget to add a dab on your tear duct to make your eyes POP! Adding a little brown eyeliner to your upper lash line and water line will help define your eyes. Be sure to lightly blend out the liner to keep it soft and natural.
5. Mascara is a MUST! First curl lashes, then add a black mascara to lashes.
6. Keep your lips a neutral color and top with a little gloss.
7. Hair should be simple. Keep it straight and sleek, or add a few curls. Nothing too crazy though!
And there you have it! Tips from the pro. I'm so grateful for Shannon's tips here, both as a photographer and as a mom! I'll be referring to this blog post when I'm getting my own family ready for Portrait Day. You can be sure of that!
Sadly, Shannon and I are separated by thousands of miles now, so I don't have the pleasure of working side by side with her any more. But if you are in the eastern PA area, and you've got a wedding or a prom, or some special occassion coming up, then you need to call Shannon. Wedding season is in bloom right now, so her calendar is booking like mad. Don't wait to call her.
YOU CAN FIND HER HERE, AT CLASSICBELLA.COM!
Thank you for sharing with us, Shannon. When you are reading to move out west to Colorado, just let me know. I'll be waiting eagerly!